Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pizza Buns...Yummmm


OK.. now which food has the ability to spread happiness? Yep....its pizza! I was craving for it but was not in the mood to go through the entire length process of making a full pizza. Another thing is that the original pizza is better hot and straight out of the oven . My problem is that when I make something this lengthy , I usually loose my appetite. Any one else have this problem?

Well anyways I came across a pizza bun recipe and thought VOILA! That is exactly what I need. Nice little pizza buns that I can snack on anytime and even pop into the lunch boxes for the kids. Now isnt that a nifty idea?

I made a few changes to the original recipe and made some really bodacious buns!

I have a nice staple recipe for making pizza dough. Here it is:

1-1/2 tsp dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1-1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt

Put the yeast in a bowl and add the warm water. Keep it covered for 1 minute. Now add the salt,sugar,garlic and oil and mix. In another bowl measure out the flour and add the water mixture to it and knead well. make it nice and elastic. Keep it covered and let it rise for about 20-30 minutes. Ok now ..punch down the dough and roll it out.

Roll out the dough like this:

Spread a thin layer of your favorite pizza sauce

Sprinkle a light layer of grated Mozzarella and cheddar cheese

Roll it up into a log. Make sure its not rolled too loose, nor too tight. Score the log into 1-1.5 inch sections. Now take a piece of thread or dental floss and gently lift the log and place it under the first mark. Cris-cross the thread and watch how easily it helps you too take off the first bun. Do the same with the rest of the buns and put each cut off bun on a well oiled baking pan. I lined mine with butter paper for easy cleaning.

Its really fun and as you can see in the photo my little 7 year old chef is helping me out. Well actually she has kind of taken over the show :)





Put some extra cheese on top

Bake at 375 F for about 15 minutes. Makes about 12-14 buns.


The pics are not so great, but the buns definitely are!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More